Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Thirty Six Hour Freeze!

So this past Sunday, March 1, 2009, this white stuff starts falling from the sky. I'm pretty sure I've seen it before, perhaps in the movies. Supposedly our county (Madison) got seven inches of this ice-like participation, but all I know is that we had over four inches of it standing on our porch. The next day we spent some time playing in our "winter wonderland." However, I could have enjoyed it more if we had had power. I could have done without the virtual camping indoors and 46˚ nights, but it was definitely an opportunity for us to be reminded of God's blessing of electric heat. Our garage became our refrigerator, and our porch became the freezer in hopes of saving our stockpile of groceries. It also became mildly frustrating when we jealously look at the adjacent street in our neighborhood and saw their power restored around ten o'clock last night. I would not have minded it so much if it had not been for our child having ice cycles hanging from his nose. But after a "Hallelujah" and "Thank you, Lord," moment at 6:00 a.m. on the dot, Georgia Power finally delivered on their promise and electricity was restored. And it only took 5 straight hours of emergency heat to restore us to a comfortable 70˚. Now we can return to our life of luxury.

We did take Elijah out twice to experience his first snowfall. If the multiple layers of clothes weren't enough torture, we decided to sit him down in the icy snow. At first he looked around curiously, but began to cry as soon as he placed a hand on the ground to crawl. I look forward to the day when he'll beg us to go and play in it. Then I'll have someone else to pelt with snowballs. Stephanie's no match. She throws like a girl.

1 comment:

Nathan said...

I just wonder if 4-7 inches of snow finally warrants an actual fire in the fireplace. We were at 85 today with one kid about to pass out from being in the heat!