I'm sure most parents can agree that children teach you as much as you teach them. In those early years when we're amazed at our child's increased awareness and astonished by the steepness of his learning curve, God provides life lessons for the parents by the handfuls.I'm so fascinated by the way Elijah takes such joys in the simple things, and even more fascinated by the joy it brings me to watch him. I love the way he takes such an interest in bottles of every kind. Whether shampoo, lotion, or 2-Liter Soda (not full, of course), he enjoys toting them around by their caps, one in each hand. Speaking of carrying, he has yet to figure out that his toy wagon is for pulling, rather than "carrying" by lifting the handle over his head.
I love the way he pulls CDs and books off their shelves by the handfuls (to the annoyance of the parental units who must then return the items to their proper place). There are times a direct "no" will discourage him. But more often than not, it only encourages a quick "snatch and grab," followed by a hysterical sprint in the opposite direction of the approaching adult.
I find it adorable that my son loves his wooden sword (bought by his mother at the Renaissance Festival), and how he likes to sheath it in his basketball goal. He's also been practicing his motor skills lately by carefully lowering the tip of his sword into a glass baby jar. One day he'll want to wield it to the detriment of those around him, but for now he's content to use it as a walking stick.
He's so fascinated by spoons, and any other kitchen utensil he can pilfer from a cabinet or open dishwasher. And now that he likes to practice climbing, he's found his way up into the appliance (See Photo Album 12-18 months). You can never take your eye off a toddler.
And speaking of climbing, I love to watch him carefully swing his leg over his motorcycle, sometimes ending up facing the wrong direction. And the way he tries to make it go by bouncing up and down on the bike while making noises.
How I adore his giggles as he pushes me away, and his dramatic falling backwards in my arms as I "push" back. Most amusing was the time we found out he likes to lean back in his pack-and-play while holding onto the edge, then dramatically release and topple backwards in laughter.
I am amused by the way he takes such an interest in phones, and even those things that he thinks resemble them (i.e. iPods). Or how he drops toys in Peño's bowl. Or how he tosses all toys in his possession whenever he stumbles to the ground. Or how he delights in opening the trash can lid.
It brings me so much joy to see my child take joy in the things we can provide. My guess is that God is the same way. He takes joy in our joy. But this is not to say that God's ultimate goal is to see us happy, for I don't hesitate to take the fork out of my son's hand, even though he may protest with tears. There are many things that I bar my son from that he desires. The dog food may look like Cheerios, and Elijah may think they may satisfy his Cheerio hunger, but I know better. He way want access to fun bottles beneath the sink to tote around the house, but I know better. He may want to climb the stairs without me around, even though he may be able to climb on his own. But I know better than to let him descend on his own. And if I think my fatherly wisdom brings me qualifications to decide for a one-year-old child what is best, surely my omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent Creator knows what is best for me. God is the perfect parent, and I must trust that my Father is always looking out for what's best for me. And nothing teaches you that better than being a father (or mother) yourself.
1 comment:
What a delightful Elijah smile--and what a delight to read your joy in Elijah, Billy!!!
Love,
Mommy (Grandmommy)
Post a Comment