Tuesday, May 18, 2010
Garbage
There is a tradition that Elijah and I have had for a long time. Every Tuesday around 11:00, we hear a distant rumble and make our way to the window to watch the green garbage truck roll up. We wave to the men and they wave back. And as they drive away, they give the horn a honk. We wave "bye, bye," and watch as they drive down the street and out of our view. I hope it brightens their day to see this cute little boy waiving from the window (although I'm sure they think: "Why isn't his father at work? He must not have a job... the bum!").
I have great respect for these men, and sure am glad that they come every week. It's easy to take them for granted, especially when it's out of sight, out of mind. Could you imagine the stench if they just came once a month... or not at all? We'd have to dispose of our trash ourselves. Yuck! Put it this way: Hot, humid climate + neighboring cow pastures that attract a lot of flies + toddler producing poppy diapers = ... Let's just say, our trash becomes pretty disgusting after just one week. I couldn't imagine life without that fresh start every Tuesday morning.
It may be obvious to some, but Jesus is like the garbage men. He comes and takes all the foul filth we've accumulated in our lives and takes it far, far away (as far as the east is from the west... much further than any landfill). He continually gives us a fresh start, but too often we grow accustomed to this continual purification. We forget that we would reek pretty bad if it were not for our Lord.
So every week, as you wheel your garbage can in from the curb, I encourage you to thank God for your garbage men, and even more for God's Loving Grace.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment