A signal of frustration: "I don't know what to do?"
He now knows many of our families first names: "What's Granda's name?"
"Pete"
"What's Grandmommy's name?"
"Charcie"
"What's G-Mommy's name?"
"Shehwey"
"What's Grandadio's name?"
"Steve"
"What's Daddy's name?"
"Be-wey"
And my favorite, "What's Mama's name?"
"Snefaney"
"What else can we talk about?" Elijah asks during every lull in conversation while in the car.
The other day, we were headed out into the cold, so we grabbed some gloves and some little mittens for Elijah, which he called, "Puppets." Not sure why, although it kind of makes sense. Kind of cute.
Inside the Mind of a Preschooler
I also enjoy his logic to why Stephanie has to stay with the two children when I leave, "Mama goin to stay here with me cause I don't want to watch Aubey." Sure son, that's it.
The other day I became frustrated at Elijah when he started misbehaving as soon as I walked in the dorr from work. I finally lost my cool a bit, and decided to fume a little upstairs with some music cranked up. A few minutes later, Elijah comes up, "I'm sowy daddy." I'm a bit impressed, but apparently its not good enough for me yet. "Sorry for what?" I asked. "I'm sowy fo apogizing to you." Not sure how to take that.
"What's that, Mama?" Elijah asked one day while Stephanie and the kids were out for a walk.
"That's Hay."
"That ones in the distance." Stephanie was a bit shocked at that one. We didn't even know he knew that word.
Ever since Mother's Day when I told Elijah I was going to get some flowers for Mama, he on occasions brings up the fact we need to go get Mama some flowers again (To which Stephanie says, "Smart kid."). While on a walk late October, Elijah asks, "Mama, what are those?"
"Deer."
"Where they goin?"
"In the trees."
"They goin to pick flowuhs fo theuh mama?"
"Mama, what are those ladies doin?" Elijah inquired of the women on their smoke break outside of the nursing home down the street from us.
"They're taking a break, Buddy."
"Taking a beak from what?"
"From work."
"Girls don't work. Only daddy's work."
Oh how quickly he forgets... and if only that were the way the world works.
Eating Habits
Elijah has always been a good eater... but this is ridiculous. Sometime in October/November, Stephanie took the kids out and gave Elijah an apple to eat in the car. A while later, she sees a seed flying past her in the car followed by, "That yucky?" Realization soon dawned that the seeds were the only parts left.
"Buddy, you're not suppose to eat the core."
"It's okay," he reassured her, "You can eat it."
[Update 1-28-12, He did this again on the way back from the Grocery Store today. See Picture. The apple on the right is what was left of Stephanie's. The one on the left is what was left of Elijah's]
Movie Enthusiast
"Daddy. Daddy," Elijah repeats until I acknowledge him. "I want to tell you something," he tells me. After I inquire, he thinks for a second before responding with something pretty random, usually a scene from a movie.
While trick-or-treating (and on other occassions), Elijah kept singing the words to Lyle, the Kindly Viking (VeggieTales). "We nevuh say pease and we nevuh give stuff back! Speshuhey the pot-hohduhs."
He's like his grandfather, always quoting movie lines. One of the best is when he quotes Francesco from Cars 2. "Francesco is triple speed." (Mater says, "To-Mater, average [intelligence... he's a little off on this word]").
No comments:
Post a Comment