Sunday, January 29, 2012

My Stuff

After church today, I noticed Elijah was dragging my Falcons blanket around the living room. "Hey, don't go taking my blanket," I said, half-way joking with him.

Elijah then proceeded to explain to me that I let him use it in the morning when he gets up. When I'm at home and we're in the living room in the morning, I usually put it over him as he sits quietly on the couch and watches a Fabuland video on my iPhone. I guess he thinks this means that its now his.

I tried to explain to him that just because I let him use it, doesn't mean that I've given it to him. "It's still mine," I said. "And you should always ask before playing with it."

That could preach. Everything is God's. He may be letting us use it, but its still not really ours. We should be seeking His wishes before using, selling, giving, etc. And not just assuming it's ours to do with whatever we want. Yet how often I waste and misuse His great blessings because I start assuming its mine.

No comments: