Thursday, September 26, 2013

Comer Fair 2013

Tonight I took Elijah to the Madison County Fair. We got our $15 hand stamps and immediately started the rides. Most of the night consisted of the smaller kid rides, including the jumpy house, the fun slide and the obstacle course--familiar activities from last year. The house of mirrors went by pretty quick and wasn't near as entertaining as last year, when Elijah banged his head about twenty times and sat down discouraged before he figured out that he could walk much safer with his hands out front. The biggest difference this time was that I rode some with him.

We rode the Ferris wheel five times and drove a bumper car a few times together. We also rode the Gee Wizz and the Trabant. They didn't look like much, but they still can give your stomach a rush. To be honest, I hate roller coasters.I don't particularly enjoy the sensation that I need to vomit. And the inappropriate music choices like Akon's Smack That made me despise the ride all the more.

I was curious to see how Squeeze would react through it all. He was all hyper and excited, but got real quiet once the ride picked up speed. I watched him the whole time, and when he started to stick out his tongue, I was beginning to regret the decision to chance it. But we made it out from both rides without incident. Afterwards, he said he had fun, but it made his stomach feel funny. Once we go home the story changed, and he confessed he really didn't care for them. He's usually pretty tough. To tell you the truth, I was probably holding on tighter than he was. But I did find out that these rides are more enjoyable and less nauseating when you just relax... and when you're not riding backwards.

We ended the four hour evening with cotton candy and a final few rides and one more trip on the Ferris Wheel, then headed home to crawl into bed quite late for a school night. It was a fun night, just me and my eldest son. What a great blessing from the Lord.

No comments: