Sunday, November 9, 2014

Soccer Squeeze, Season 1

Well, even though we lost that last game, we ended the season with a makeup game victory 6-0. The team was pulling for Elijah to score, but he ended the season without a goal. However, for his first season, he has drastically improved. He’s getting over his timidity to get in the fray, and his improved ability to kick the ball with power and accuracy has been impressive. And most importantly, he has developed a love for the game, a better understanding of teamwork, and several lessons learned (or at least opportunities for those teachable moments).

A few funny moments this season:

Since Elijah’s coach was Kevin Cheek, a friend we knew from church and familiar with Elijah’s nickname, the whole team knew Elijah as “Squeeze.” In fact, one official was under the impression that that was the team’s name after they heard the coaches and parents cheering, “Go Squeeze!”

After the last game and during our cookout celebration, Elijah’s trophy was missing from the lineup. He still got his photo with the coach, and later he got a cool T-shirt as an apology. In addition, no one else got their nickname on their trophy… a good teachable moment.

Elijah and I worked a lot together to develop his skill, and so I was often locked into the game to watch his performance. Sometimes I would just go, but there were several occasions that the whole family went to watch. On one occasion, I heard a stern, “Aubrey,” from Stephanie and turned my head to see Stephanie grabbing our daughter who had her pants around her ankle. She told us she needed to “pee.” She also told us she was “only kiddin.” I never know with her, but I could just hear Jeff Foxworthy saying, “If your daughter pulls her pants down at the soccer field to pee, you might be a redneck.”

Can’t wait for next season and what it might bring.

1 comment:

April said...

You are fro Madison Co! HA!