Stephanie informed me of a short but humorous exchange between her and her daughter last Friday:
Aubrey announced to her mother, "God doesn't know everything that I'm thinking."
Stephanie quickly corrected her. "Oh, Yes He does."
Without hesitation she replied, "But I didn't give him my password."
Funny Wordin
Aubrey has recently started choosing things by the "eeny, miny, moe," method, but hers seems to be a little different. "Eeny, meeny, miny, moe. Ketchup on a toe."
Kids are impressionable, and Joshua picks up bad things from both his parents and his siblings. "Shup!" he yells at the dogs to tell them to be quiet.
"Mean Daddy." He'll say randomly. I doubt he really knows what it means, but he hears his brother and sister get in trouble enough to know it, and Aubrey likes to throw it in her rotation of things to get Joshua to say in the car. ("Jay, say 'Banana!'" "Bah-na-na." "Good!")
"Top it, Daddy." He tells me whenever I start to annoy him or sing the Frozen songs in an annoying voice.
"Pah-kuh!" he shouts, as he raises his Popsicle in the air with victory, and the rest of the family joins in.
Often, Jay wakes up, and comes in the Living Room in the morning with droopy eyes, as if he is still waiting for his cup of coffee. The first thing out of his mouth is usually, "Whe-uh my pah-cee go?"
Early this summer, Elijah askied, "Have I had a sleep over with Kingston and Kali?" Then after a pause he answered his own question, "I think so."
Aubrey piped up, "Whose Kingston and Kali? I don't remember."
Finding this rather strange, I said, "Uh... Mrs Jessica's kids. Little brother named Korbin."
Remembering his blonde curly hair, she asked, "The one with the noodle hair?"
We waiting until after Aubrey was four before she made her start using big kid toothpaste. We were with some friends when Aubrey randomly announced that she "could spit." We understood she was referring to the fact she now used big girl toothpaste, but no one had any context.
Not that long ago I went in to tuck Aubrey in and got a hygiene reminder after I brushed her leg with a fingernail. "Hey Daddy, you huwt me. You need to cut yous finguh nails."
Our Public Schools Are Failing Us
At the end of last year, we were riding in the van when Elijah announced: "I think I can name all the constinents: Asia, Africa, Alabama, North America, South America... Is that right, Mama?"
Appeal to Educational Value
After not getting to listen to what she wanted to listen to in the card and Elijah did, she expressed her frustration by belittling the educational quality of his choice. "Adventuhs in Odyssey teaches you bout nothin!" she said with a pouty face.
A Pixar Perspective
Aubrey, after seeing the movie "Inside Out" saw some red buttons and said, "Those buttons are anger."
Reptile Salutations
Last month, Joshua bid me farewell by saying, "Bye, bye, aygatuh tahtodiyo (aligator, crocodile)." He put together "See you later, Alligator. After awhile, Crocodile."
Letters
After our friend Ellie and her three kids left after a Friday hangout in August, Elijah decided he wanted to make a card for his friend Memphis (I'll give you three guesses what Elijah's love language is). Naturally Aubrey began making one for her equivalent: Myah. Then Jay followed with wanting to make a card for the youngest Bradshaw, "Bae-Bae Max!"
Update on Jackie
Aubrey has had an imaginary friend that occasionally visits. Creeps her Aunt Riya out. So we make sure to text Miriya anytime Aubrey informs us that Jackie has gone to Florida without us. Sometime in July, Stephanie sent me this text: "Jackie was apparently hurt in an army battle while protecting the queen."
Joke Time:
Every kid loves the knock, knock joke: "Knock, knock. Who's there? Interrupting Cow. Interrup... MOOO!" And each child has tried to master it. One evening Aubrey was rehearsing it over and over again in the bathtub. Joshua would try the abbreviated version by balling up his little fists and drumming either side of his head while saying, "Knock, knock." And then after a short pause he would exclaim, "Mooo!"

No comments:
Post a Comment