Well, what can I say? In just two days our little guy, Elijah-the Prophet, will be two months old. I'd have to say the the title of misadventure would apply to my first couple of months of parenthood. I really have no idea what I'm doing, even if people tell me I'm doing a good job. A lot of life is consumed with trying to figure out what will stop him from crying. We've rocked, danced to Ray Charles, vacuumed, and tried a myriad of other techniques. And yes, I too am one of those weird moms who is excited when he finally poops, because that means it's one less thing that will make him cry.
It's so funny how you see these beautiful pictures of new moms with a quiet babe in her arms enjoying the peaceful bliss of that intimate moment. What they don't show are the pictures of a frazzled woman, yelling at her child to please just go to sleep. And did I mention she probably hadn't brushed her teeth that day either? Everything seems so romanticized with parenthood. I remember seeing those beautiful pictures and having that image in my mind. And upon being discharged from the hospital after his birth, I got the rundown on how to care for myself and for our new baby. But then our nurse Heather, proceeds to say "And if you feel like you want to hurt yourself or the baby, make sure to get help." And I thought,"Whoa! What's this!?! Nobody told me about this part. I thought it was all sun-drenched naps with my beautiful, sweet-smelling baby."
Now, please don't think it's all bad. It is true, when you see those smiles and hear those playful squeals, you can't help but feel something wonderful inside. Every week gets better and better. And I can't lie, the more he sleeps the better we all feel. Funny how that works. I remember in my second week at home, I was totally emotional and stressed out and wrote that "if children are a gift from God, I want the gift receipt." Now I'm beginning to realize he is a gift and I'm thankful God is with us on this crazy journey. And He can keep that receipt if He wants to.
3 comments:
Very sweet post. I'm excited to read about you and your little prophet. (I loved the title by the way.)
Oh you have so accurately described the disillusionmen:) Motherhood is more than you can ever prepare for... no? It does get better.... this is what people told me. It does! Loved seeing the pictures and hearing your honest tale.
WOW...you two have a baby now. That is awesome and I know a blessing....I am so happy for the two of you and it is good to know what is going on in your life....I guess soon I will have to start one....
Post a Comment