Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The Currency of Parenthood

For years I have watched as parents made complete fools of themselves; talking in unusually high voices, crossing their eyes, sticking out their tongues, and twisting their faces into various arrangements. I always wondered why people did not keep this activity within the privacy of their own home, and chose to broadcast it openly in public restaurants and stores. It all seemed rather excessive merely to entertain an infant. Or was it?

Becoming a parent myself has brought enlightenment to this area, and I have come to realize that this display of public insanity has nothing to do with the child’s pleasure.

Parenting isn’t for cowards. Not only is their the expected dirty diaper changes and rearrangement of the schedule, but plentiful stains of vomitus (more pleasantly referred to as, “spit up”) to be removed from my own clothes and furniture, the numerous crying fits of discomfort and who knows what, the overwhelming responsibility, and the constant feeling that I have no idea what I’m doing. So with this monstrous load, what is the reward at such a young age?

Answer: Smiles and Squeals. They are surprisingly worth it all, and I will do anything to get more of them; even if it calls for public humiliation.

7 comments:

Stephanie said...

I'm just glad that face isn't what's required for me to smile. Too Funny!

Anonymous said...

That picture shows us a whole different side of Billy we've never knew was there...kinda scary!

Anonymous said...

HAHA! That is awesome. So true, so true. :) Oh, and you have more than just 2 readers FYI. :)

Anonymous said...

I've shared this blog with my friends so you may hear from "strangers" to you. Everyone thinks Elijah is adorable, of course. If the "faces" work for Elijah, great.

Kayla said...

And he has such wonderful smiles. They are worth any of the faces you have to make.

Anonymous said...

Whenever I need a pick me up I log on and look at all those adorable pictures, hearing Elijah's happy squeals are a bonus. I can't wait for my next visit!

Nathan said...

I can't decide if these people are talking about Elijah's face, or the face Billy has made. I guess it's got to be Elijah, because that picture of Billy is oddly disturbing!
-Jones