Saturday, January 29, 2011

The Other Way

They say that at the root of anger is simply our hearts response to our will being blocked. And for Elijah, it is apparently his will to ride quarter firetruck rides.

This time we were at Walmart, and on our way out we let him sit in the little firetruck ride for a few minutes (with no quarters, mind you--I know, child cruelty). When it was time to go, he protested all the way out to the car. And once we put him in his seat, he threw a giant tantrum—all the way home.

It became somewhat humorous to watch our child thrash about in his seat, slobber streaming from his mouth, cheeks as red as his shirt, hair disheveled, hands pulling at his restraints, and feet persistently kicking the back of Mama and Daddy's seats. Throughout the entire trip he persistently begged to "Go udduh way," "Wahmar," and "My pie-uh tuck." (Did I mention it was thirty minutes from the Athens Walmart to our house in Comer?)

We tried to reason with him, but it was amazing to see how much energy he put into this fruitless tantrum. Regardless of how angry he got, the circumstances would remain the same. We were going back home—period. It is true that it was within my power to turn the car around and deliver his heart's desire, but I had my reasons not to. I know its not good for him to have everything he wants, and even more so when he reacts with such anger. I just wished he would remember that we love him and could see it all from our perspective, maybe then he would have a different response.

I guess I can't blame him.

The other day Stephanie backed into a tree and scratched up the car. When she got home and I went out to the garage to look at it, I nearly screamed in frustration. Not that I should be mad at her, I've done my fair share of stupid maneuvers while driving (has anyone seen my truck?), and its really the result of countless blessings that I haven't ever gotten into a real accident (... yet?). Nonetheless, situations like this can make my blood boil in frustration, yet to what end?

My Heavenly Father has the ability to turn the situation around, but He probably won't. The circumstances will simply remain as they are, regardless of how big a fit I throw.

But I guess He has His reasons. In fact, I hear he purposes all things for my good (Romans 8:28).

All things? Even the large gash on the side of my Camry? Even this enraged child on the ride home? I guess it takes a pretty big God to work all the little stuff (and especially the big stuff) for good.

Maybe if I could see things from His perspective, maybe if I just would remember that He loves me and has His reasons, I would also have a different response to my will being blocked.

No comments: