Yesterday morning Aubrey pulled down the plastic pumpkin full of candy out from the pantry, and the kids took it all back to Elijah's room to peruse the goodies. Stephanie walked in to find both children surrounded by candy wrappers (some empty). Elijah the pusher, held a sucker in his chocolate covered mouth. Aubrey, who isn't even supposed to have any candy, was also happily sucking on a cotton candy flavored dum-dum. It's amazing how careful we can be with our first child with what he eats, and even though we try and repeat that with the second, I feel like its a losing battle.
Stephanie told me about this over the phone that afternoon. I wasn't pleased to hear that my little girl was munching on candy, with her older brother, who she looks up to, encouraging her to eat stuff she's not suppose to. I guess he was sharing, but I know that he knows better. I was ready to throw his candy out, or at least withhold it for a week or so. However, I have a tendency to overact. And by this morning, I realized just talking to him about it (on our way to the grocery store to pick up some milk) was probably all that he needed. Besides, I didn't get to witness my sugar-hyped daughter running around in circles later that afternoon. I've seen her rub her head in the carpet without any sugar, I can only imagine her on overload.
On another note, Elijah wanted an apple in the evening. After several children have recently eaten a few bites or our apples and left the rest to rot, Stephanie told Elijah that he had to eat the whole thing. Well, he did. Seeds and all. He happily relayed this to his mother exclaiming that, "I even ate the seeds. They were good."
No comments:
Post a Comment