I have to confess, I'm not a huge fan of the Easter Bunny. I'm not against imagination, but I need to know there's a greater
purpose behind something I'm going to put a lot of effort into. Perhaps you might think I'm a wet blanket, or perhaps I'm just lazy. I don't know, but we haven't made much of an effort to play up all the holiday characters.
Anyway, I've learned that regardless what we decide to participate in, the influences from friends and family also have a part to play. This weekend we spent Saturday with my family, and Elijah apparently heard plenty about the Easter Bunny from his cousins. And I'm sure the idea was reinforced from school and other family members, so this whole weekend he continued to ask us if the Easter Bunny was coming to visit him. We hadn't planned on really doing anything at our house since we've been so blessed by our families and the kids really didn't need anymore candy. We even told him twice, "You realize, son. It's just pretend." This did not dissuade him at all, and continued to ask.
He was disappointed when I told him the Easter Bunny was not coming (because he already brought them stuff at everybody else's house), but then explained to me why the giant rabbit needed to visit. He apparently needed to pick up some candy to take to the other kids.
His argument caught my attention and to clarify I asked, "Do you want to give some of your candy away?"
With an expression of deep thought he said, "We have a lot of candy." So we proceeded to go through his stash of candy and leave several piles around the house for the Easter Bunny to take to the other kids.
The next morning I took the stash to the kids at work, and then hid some plastic eggs around the house for the kids to find. I also then left a half eaten carrot and a note with the following message:
Dear Elijah and Aubrey,
Thanks for the candy (and the carrot) for the kids. Most kids don't think about this. I hid a few extra eggs in return. Just remember, I'm not that big of a deal. I just carry candy. Jesus carried all our sins to the cross. He loves you that much. He is Risen. -E.B.
P.S. I like your pet Rolly Pollies.
The P.S. was his favorite part.
I have no idea what sparked this idea in his head, but I think we found a new tradition.
No comments:
Post a Comment