Friday, August 23, 2013

Elijah Starts Kindergarten


Well, this has been the first full week of kindergarten for Elijah. The morning starts with me starting his cd player and eventually culminates in me pulling him off the end of the bed and telling him to get dressed. Comer (as well as many other schools), have a free breakfast program their trying out, so at least some mornings Elijah gets to eat breakfast at the school. Of course, if he's just going to eat Cocoa Puffs and a piece of toast, he might as well eat at home.

Anyway, last Friday (the first day), I walked him down to the Cafeteria, took him through the line, and stayed with him until he was done with breakfast. He's funny when he's out of his comfort zone, all quiet and shy. Definitely not the same boy at home who possesses a never ending battery life and a proficiency for high decibels.

After he was done, I walked him to his class and seat. Fortunately for him, he's sitting next to his friend Mich from his preschool class. As the children started to color, I walked out of the school and left for work.

"Suffering a little separation anxiety," a teacher behind me asked the couple in front of me.

The woman turned around, wiping some tears away from her eyes as she nodded.

It made me smile... can't say my wife feels the same way. She's been enjoying the reduced stress level that Squeeze tends to bring when he's cooped up at home. Not to mention everyone getting on a schedule, the fact she's getting more sleep, and that Joshua becoming less fussy.

Anyway, the rest of the week, I would either walk him to the cafeteria or the gym (if he ate at home). On Thursday I had to drop him off in the parent drop off circle as to not be late for work. As he was climbing out of his seat, I pulled him back for a kiss on his head. He then continued to climb out, but then stopped, turned, and then gave me a big hug in return. He can be really sweet at times.

One of the mornings he started to tear up as I was going to leave him standing in the lunch line, so after a big hug, he convinced me to stay with him until he was seated. It did occur to me that some of this packaging for the food (like the milk cartons) could be problematic for a kindergartener.

As for the ride home, Stephanie remarked how cute it was seeing the all the tiny heads staring out the window of the bus as it navigated around our culdesac to drop him off at our driveway (I remember walking half a mile from the bus stop). He seemed to enjoy his time at school. Of course, its difficult to get much of a report from him. I guess this part probably just gets even harder over time.


Interesting Fact: Kindergarten was developed by a German in the 1800s to transition kids from home to school. It literally means "children's garden" in German. Stephanie and I looked this up after we were disagreeing on the spelling. We kept laughing as we said it in attempt German accents. Everything sounds angry in German.

No comments: