Thursday, May 28, 2015

Awana Sparky Award

Last night was Awards and Family Night at Comer Baptist for Awana. This year Aubrey was in Cubbies with Mrs. Brittney and her husband and Ms. Shannon. I have to confess I failed to work very hard on her verses with her, but she got a few of them down through the year. Funny part on her was that half-way through the year she had told her mother after refussing to eat her dinner, "I'm just going to get snacks at Awana." Well, Daddy put an end to that. I relayed the event to her teachers, and they graciously complied to a "no snack" policy for our little girl. There were a few times she ate her dinner and was allowed some snacks during the evening. It became routine for Brittney to ask me every Wednesday, "Did Aubrey eat her dinner?" And I would say, "Nope." And she would turn to Aubrey and say, "Your killin me Smalls!"

Elijah was blessed to have Mrs. Nedra as a teacher again, along with Mrs. Margaret and Mr. John. I had watched this couple the year before lead those kids with such enthusiasm that I was really looking forward to Elijah being in that class. Last year a boy down the street go the "Sparky Award" by finishing all three of his books in one year. I remember turning to Elijah and encouraging him to go for the same. And go he did. He would listen to his CD, foregoing story time at home sometimes or even game time at Awana to work on his verses. Not only did he end up devouring all three of his Sparks books, but he also finished the first review book and was going through the third (they didn't have the second... Mr. John didn't know when they had had some one use one). So, he without question earned his plague. Awesome Job, Prophet! And thank you to all His Awana teachers and Comer Baptist for serving this community in the name of Christ.

No comments: