Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Chopped Liver

So I was prepared when people said that once you have kids you become a blurry figure in the background of a photo. No more asking, "How are you?" Instead, it's "How's Elijah doing?" All the focus goes to the kid. Not that I can blame anyone though, he is one cute kid.

However, I wasn't prepared to be shoved to the background by my own kid. One thing you need to know is that he loves his grandparents. And I mean L-O-V-E-S them! One Monday, I recall getting him ready to go to Ms. Yvonne's (the lady that watches him two times a week) and he picked up his cowboy hat and Star Wars Clone Wars lunchbag--actually that bag is Daddy's. He assuredly told me that we needed to go to 'GranMommy and Ahda's' house. Perhaps it was blissful memories of his prior weekend where he had Billy's parents doting on his every move. Hey, who wouldn't want to hang out with people who think you're the greatest thing since sliced bread with peanut butter and jelly with the crusts cut off?

In fact, our nightly prayer times often consist of the following:

Us: "Dear Jesus"
Elijah: "Dear Jesus"
Us: "Thank You"
Elijah: "Ank You"
Us: "What do you want to thank Jesus for?"
Elijah: "GrandMommy and AhDa!" (Billy's parents)
Us: "Who else?"
Elijah: "G Mommy!" (My mom)
Us: "Who else?"
Elijah: "Ahdadoe" (My dad)

Often times, Mama and Daddy are left out of the mix. And we have to forcefully insert our own names into prayer time, along with many other things.

Even though we cloth, feed, bathe, and care for this beautiful child on a regular basis, somehow I feel like Chopped Liver!

No comments: