(From left to right--according to Elijah) "Ah-Da", "Gan-Mommy", "Ijah", "Ah-Dah-doe", "Mama", "Kahdahee", "Cewtee" "Gahsee", "Ah-Jew", "Jayjah" "Uh Chuh". (Tranlation: Grand-Da, Grand-Mommy, Elijah, Grandadio, Mama, Kimberly, Courtney, Grayson, Aunt Jill, Jacob, Uncle Chuck.)
Last Sunday our church (Compass Church in Athens) had a special child dedication service. Elijah was one of six kids that were apart of it. Some of our family came down to attend the service and we went out to eat after the event. I was told it was a good service, because I didn't get to experience much of it... and neither did Elijah.
When we first got to church, Elijah was quiet as a mouse as he sat in the worship center, observing his cousins and the rest of his unfamiliar surroundings. He was being the perfect angel. However, once he got comfortable, he wanted to go play on the "bidge" (bridge); aka, the handicap ramp to the emergency exit. So after several minutes of repeated runs up the steps and down the ramp with an entourage of other children following, the service began to start. I went to pick up my child, but rather than scooping up angelic cooperation, I grabbed a handful of demonic tantrum. He threw a fit in protest, desperately wanting to "pay bidge" (Play on the bridge). Fortunately, he did finally calm down enough for us to join the parent vows and prayer (so Stephanie didn't have to go up alone), and he sat quietly in his mama's lap during the closing slide show.
It baffles me that things like this set him off. It must be the things he loves the most that he pitches the biggest fits over. Yet when he does so, I hesitate to allow him the privilege the next time we encounter fun activities like the "bidge." If he only knew how easily he could get his way (within reason) by quietly asking "Please."
Of course, sometimes I need the same reminder.


No comments:
Post a Comment